- STATE OVERVIEW
Minnesota is 5th this year
It was 6th in 2011
- 1 Outcomes Rank
- 7 Determinants Rank
- 5 Overall Rank
- 3 Diabetes Rank
- 11 Smoking Rank
- 15 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Low prevalence of sedentary lifestyle & diabetes
- Low rate of premature death and deaths from cardiovascular disease
- High incidence of infectious disease
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- Low per capita public health funding
- Minnesota’s sedentary lifestyle and diabetes rates are among the lowest in the U.S. However, 891,000 adults live a sedentary lifestyle and almost 300,000 adults have diabetes in the state.
- In the past five years, the amount of public health funding decreased from $62 to $43 per person.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 65.6 to 50.6 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty has increased from 8.1 percent to 13.3 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past ten years, the rate of cardiovascular deaths decreased from 270.4 to 195.9 deaths per 100,000 population.
- In the past year, the immunization coverage increased from 90.9 percent to 93.2 percent of children ages 19 to 35 months.
- In Minnesota, sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 29.4 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 16.8 percent; and smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 21.2 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 15.4 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.health.state.mn.us
|Cholesterol Check||19||76.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||3||78.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||8||78.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||8||22.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||5||3.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||7||35.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||6||3.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||3||26.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||8||10.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||11||44672||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||9||6.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||12||12.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||13||0.4436||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||1||12||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.