- STATE OVERVIEW
Alabama is 45th this year
It was 48th in 2011
- 47 Outcomes Rank
- 41 Determinants Rank
- 45 Overall Rank
- 46 Diabetes Rank
- 41 Smoking Rank
- 47 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- High per capita public health funding
- High immunization coverage
- High prevalence of smoking
- High prevalence of obesity, sedentary lifestyle & diabetes
- High prevalence of low birthweight & high infant mortality rate
- Almost 1.2 million adults in Alabama are obese and the same number of adults lead a sedentary lifestyle.
- There are 434,000 adults with diabetes in the state.
- Smoking remains high at 24.3 percent of the adult population, with almost 900,000 adult smokers in Alabama.
- High school graduation rates have improved in the last five years from 65.0% to 69.9% of incoming ninth graders who graduate within four years.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 94.8 to 80.1 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the last year, the infant mortality rate declined from 9.7 to 8.9 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In Alabama, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 43.1 percent than Hispanics at 31.1 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 28.8 percent; and smoking is more prevalent among Hispanics at 31.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 22.0 percent and non-Hispanic blacks at 21.7 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.adph.org
|Cholesterol Check||15||78.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||40||64.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||46||67.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||42||43.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||43||17||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||41||22.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||47||5.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||49||42||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||36||5.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||50||40.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||49||15.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||42||34650||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||41||9.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||37||16.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||39||0.4735||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||47||23.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.